Updated Applebee’s Braille Menus Now AvailablePublished on
Applebee’s Wants To “See You Tomorrow” Whether You Can See Them Or Not
Applebee’s newly updated fall/winter menus are now available in braille and large print! Starting last Monday, November 12th, anyone who wants to can request a braille menu at the host-stand when they arrive at the classic American neighborhood restaurant.
I wanted to share this with you last week but I felt the news about Unified English Braille being adopted by BANA was a much more important story affecting the blind and visually impaired communities.
The menus feature a bunch of new mouth-watering choices and also include the prices for each item. That may not seem like a big deal but you’d be surprised at how many restaurants choose not to list prices in their braille menus. Not Applebee’s; they choose to give their blind guests all the info and treat them just like anyone else who visits their store. Imagine that!
Now that we know the lengths Applebee’s goes to serve ALL of their patrons and not only the sighted ones; those of us who are in (or work with) the visually impaired community should do what we can to support them.
As their new YouTube, Facebook & Twitter campaigns elude to, Applebee’s wants to “See You Tomorrow”. They want to see you tomorrow for a tender, juicy steak and an ice-cold local beer. They want to see you tomorrow for friendly faces and mean margaritas. They want to see you tomorrow for lunch and see you tomorrow for dinner. And what matters most is they couldn’t care less whether or not you can see them back. What you will see in your heart instead is a restaurant chain that truly cares about your needs and your right to an accessible, independent dining experience.
Braille Works has worked alongside Applebee’s since October of 1994 to benefit the braille readers who visit their stores. That’s almost 20 years of Applebee’s leading the way in providing accessible menus! It’s crazy to think there are still tons of restaurants out there that don’t provide alternative format menus today. You think it might be time for them to get their act together?
While you are thinking about how you’re going to answer that question in the comments section below; check out some of the new dishes they’ll be serving during the fall and winter seasons. Try not to drool on your PC or mobile device, wink-wink.
New Applebee’s Appetizers
- Brew Pub Pretzels & Beer Cheese Dip: White cheddar mixed with craft beer and roasted garlic creates a savory dip served alongside warm seasoned pretzel sticks that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Comes with Honey Dijon mustard sauce.
- Green Bean Crispers: A shareable stack of green beans, battered, seasoned and lightly fried. Served with two sauces – cool and creamy BBQ bacon ranch and a zesty horseradish.
New Applebee’s Entrees
- Chipotle Cream Steak & Shrimp: Our chimichurri glazed 7 oz. sirloin and chipotle lime shrimp with fried red potatoes, black bean corn salsa, sliced mushrooms, roasted red peppers, red onions and zesty chipotle cream sauce.
- Napa Chicken & Portobellos: A grilled chicken breast topped with portobello mushrooms and onions smothered in a rich red wine sauce and Parmesan cheese. Served over sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, red onions and crispy red potatoes. (Under 550 Calories)
- Zesty Roma Chicken & Shrimp: Juicy grilled chicken breast, blackened shrimp and Parmesan. Served over crispy red potatoes, zucchini, red onions, Roma tomatoes, basil and peppers. Our zesty tomato sauce gives it a kick. (Under 550 Calories)
- Lemon Parmesan Shrimp: Blackened shrimp sautéed with tomatoes, onions and basil. Served over creamy rice with a decadent lemon cream sauce and Parmesan cheese.
© 2012 Applebee’s International, Inc. All rights reserved. This article contains valuable trademarks owned and used by Applebee’s International, Inc. and is not endorsed or certified by Applebee’s International, Inc.
This post was written by